Dummerston killing trial delayedAugust 21,2013Caraballo murder
trial delayed again
A judge has granted defense lawyers representing Frank Caraballo an extra week to prepare for his trial in the killing of a Brattleboro woman.
Earlier this month, Judge Christina Reiss denied a similar request brought by defense lawyers who asked for an extra two months to prepare for the trial on the grounds that they were wading through an influx of new evidence.
In the latest request, filed last week, Caraballo’s attorneys said they received additional audio and video recordings that need to be analyzed before the trial, which was set to start in the second week of September.
After considering the new request, Reiss decided Tuesday to delay the start of the trial until Sept. 16.
Caraballo, 31, of Holyoke, Mass., is charged with killing Melissa Barratt, 30, whose body was found in a wooded area in Dummerston on July 29, 2011.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.