Deal means no jail in child porn caseAugust 21,2013
By ERIC FRANCIS
WHITE RIVER JUNCTION — A Springfield man reported by his roommate for possessing child pornography made a plea deal Wednesday that will keep him out of jail.
Instead, Christopher Theroux, 31, will undergo sex-offender treatment.
He had been facing a felony count of possessing child pornography. Under the plea agreement, prosecutors charged him with three misdemeanor charges of possessing child porn, for which he will receive a suspended sentence of one to five years.
Theroux, who will now have to register as a sex offender, was placed on probation and ordered to complete a treatment program.
Deputy State’s Attorney David Cahill said the state would amend the charges because the agreement calls for Theroux to be under “strict and appropriate supervision” by Probation and Parole.
“Mr. Theroux admitted his behavior from day one, is remorseful, is amenable to treatment and has no prior criminal history,” Cahill said Wednesday in White River Junction criminal court.
Acting on a tip from Theroux’s roommate, police executed a search warrant and seized computers from his apartment in November, according to an affidavit by Springfield Police Detective Anthony Moriglioni.
State crime lab technicians confirmed numerous sexual images of children were on at least one of the computers, the detective said, adding that Theroux admitted he downloaded them.
“He advised that he had deleted most of them (but) he had been viewing child pornography for approximately 15 years,” Moriglioni wrote.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1935, New York gangster, bootlegger, ruthless murderer Dutch Schultz, born Arthur Flegenheimer to Jewish-German immigrant parents, and three associates gunned down, killed, at the Palace Chophouse in Newark, N.J.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Acclaimed illusionist & escape artist Harry Houdini, performing in Montreal in 1926, is sucker-punched by a McGill University student. Houdini doesn't know he has peritonitis - the punches are possible factor in his Oct. 31 death.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Police Chief James Baker to resign from the force at the end of the year to take a job in Washington, D.C., jury remains out in teacher killing murder trial, Rec Dept. releases report on what's wrong with White's Pool.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.