Deal means no jail in child porn caseAugust 21,2013
By ERIC FRANCIS
WHITE RIVER JUNCTION — A Springfield man reported by his roommate for possessing child pornography made a plea deal Wednesday that will keep him out of jail.
Instead, Christopher Theroux, 31, will undergo sex-offender treatment.
He had been facing a felony count of possessing child pornography. Under the plea agreement, prosecutors charged him with three misdemeanor charges of possessing child porn, for which he will receive a suspended sentence of one to five years.
Theroux, who will now have to register as a sex offender, was placed on probation and ordered to complete a treatment program.
Deputy State’s Attorney David Cahill said the state would amend the charges because the agreement calls for Theroux to be under “strict and appropriate supervision” by Probation and Parole.
“Mr. Theroux admitted his behavior from day one, is remorseful, is amenable to treatment and has no prior criminal history,” Cahill said Wednesday in White River Junction criminal court.
Acting on a tip from Theroux’s roommate, police executed a search warrant and seized computers from his apartment in November, according to an affidavit by Springfield Police Detective Anthony Moriglioni.
State crime lab technicians confirmed numerous sexual images of children were on at least one of the computers, the detective said, adding that Theroux admitted he downloaded them.
“He advised that he had deleted most of them (but) he had been viewing child pornography for approximately 15 years,” Moriglioni wrote.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 365 CE, eastern Mediterranean rocked by high magnitude earthquake and tsunami, in 1865, Davis 'Little Dave' Tutt meets Wild Bill Hickock in Springfield, Mo., to settle differences.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Pesticides in soil and ground water are killing not only honey bees and other useful insects, but songbirds as well.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Judge issues deposition order in for city police corporal's lawsuit against the department, market for marijuana-laced edibles en fuego in at least two states, West Rutland truck fire consumes all driver's earthly possessions.