Deal means no jail in child porn caseAugust 21,2013
By ERIC FRANCIS
WHITE RIVER JUNCTION — A Springfield man reported by his roommate for possessing child pornography made a plea deal Wednesday that will keep him out of jail.
Instead, Christopher Theroux, 31, will undergo sex-offender treatment.
He had been facing a felony count of possessing child pornography. Under the plea agreement, prosecutors charged him with three misdemeanor charges of possessing child porn, for which he will receive a suspended sentence of one to five years.
Theroux, who will now have to register as a sex offender, was placed on probation and ordered to complete a treatment program.
Deputy State’s Attorney David Cahill said the state would amend the charges because the agreement calls for Theroux to be under “strict and appropriate supervision” by Probation and Parole.
“Mr. Theroux admitted his behavior from day one, is remorseful, is amenable to treatment and has no prior criminal history,” Cahill said Wednesday in White River Junction criminal court.
Acting on a tip from Theroux’s roommate, police executed a search warrant and seized computers from his apartment in November, according to an affidavit by Springfield Police Detective Anthony Moriglioni.
State crime lab technicians confirmed numerous sexual images of children were on at least one of the computers, the detective said, adding that Theroux admitted he downloaded them.
“He advised that he had deleted most of them (but) he had been viewing child pornography for approximately 15 years,” Moriglioni wrote.MORE IN This Just InMOSCOW ó Maybe it was Islamic extremists who killed Boris Nemtsov. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1843, British Naval officer GEORGE LORD PAULET obtains provisional cession of Hawaiian Islands; 1866, miners claim Calaveras skull found found in goldmine is remains of 5 million-year-old Pliocene man.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day 1739, 'Richard Palmer' identified in prison at York Castle as the notorious outlaw DICK TURPIN; IN 1836, Battle of the Alamo begins near San Antonio de Bexar, Texas; 1896, the Tootsie Roll invented by LEO HIRSCHFELD.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1472, Orkney, Shetland islands put up as collateral by Norway to Scotland in lieu of dowry for MARGARET OF DENMARK on her marriage with JAMES III, king of Scotland; 1962, JOHN GLENN first American to orbit Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City mayoral candidates debate campaign issues; Hartford, Conn., woman still missing; Neal Goswami reports attempts to legislate suicide; local woman loses 100 pounds through TOPS program.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1878, JOHN TUNSTALL murdered near Lincoln, New Mexico, by the outlaw JESSE EVANS; in 1930, ELM FARM OLLIE first cow to fly in aircraft, first to be milked airborne; 1955, nuke test WASP; '79, snow in Sahara.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald News Editor Alan J. Keays and staff writer Gordon Dritschilo discuss stories planned for the February 18, 2015, edition of the newspaper: Winter budgets maxed, legal marijuana, Springfield bank job, USPS slowdown