Deal means no jail in child porn caseAugust 21,2013
By ERIC FRANCIS
WHITE RIVER JUNCTION — A Springfield man reported by his roommate for possessing child pornography made a plea deal Wednesday that will keep him out of jail.
Instead, Christopher Theroux, 31, will undergo sex-offender treatment.
He had been facing a felony count of possessing child pornography. Under the plea agreement, prosecutors charged him with three misdemeanor charges of possessing child porn, for which he will receive a suspended sentence of one to five years.
Theroux, who will now have to register as a sex offender, was placed on probation and ordered to complete a treatment program.
Deputy State’s Attorney David Cahill said the state would amend the charges because the agreement calls for Theroux to be under “strict and appropriate supervision” by Probation and Parole.
“Mr. Theroux admitted his behavior from day one, is remorseful, is amenable to treatment and has no prior criminal history,” Cahill said Wednesday in White River Junction criminal court.
Acting on a tip from Theroux’s roommate, police executed a search warrant and seized computers from his apartment in November, according to an affidavit by Springfield Police Detective Anthony Moriglioni.
State crime lab technicians confirmed numerous sexual images of children were on at least one of the computers, the detective said, adding that Theroux admitted he downloaded them.
“He advised that he had deleted most of them (but) he had been viewing child pornography for approximately 15 years,” Moriglioni wrote.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.