Deal means no jail in child porn caseAugust 21,2013
By ERIC FRANCIS
WHITE RIVER JUNCTION — A Springfield man reported by his roommate for possessing child pornography made a plea deal Wednesday that will keep him out of jail.
Instead, Christopher Theroux, 31, will undergo sex-offender treatment.
He had been facing a felony count of possessing child pornography. Under the plea agreement, prosecutors charged him with three misdemeanor charges of possessing child porn, for which he will receive a suspended sentence of one to five years.
Theroux, who will now have to register as a sex offender, was placed on probation and ordered to complete a treatment program.
Deputy State’s Attorney David Cahill said the state would amend the charges because the agreement calls for Theroux to be under “strict and appropriate supervision” by Probation and Parole.
“Mr. Theroux admitted his behavior from day one, is remorseful, is amenable to treatment and has no prior criminal history,” Cahill said Wednesday in White River Junction criminal court.
Acting on a tip from Theroux’s roommate, police executed a search warrant and seized computers from his apartment in November, according to an affidavit by Springfield Police Detective Anthony Moriglioni.
State crime lab technicians confirmed numerous sexual images of children were on at least one of the computers, the detective said, adding that Theroux admitted he downloaded them.
“He advised that he had deleted most of them (but) he had been viewing child pornography for approximately 15 years,” Moriglioni wrote.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.