in Derby shelved
DERBY LINE — Officials in a Vermont border community say the U.S. Department of Homeland Security has dropped plans for a major expansion of the port of entry from Canada at the northern end of Interstate 91 in Derby Line.
Keith Beadle, a village trustee in Derby Line, said that rather than conduct a full-scale expansion that would re-route traffic, Customs and Border Protection plans to expand a building within the existing footprint.
The larger plan went through the environmental impact study phase and then was shelved after the Great Recession reduced truck backups.
The existing Derby Line border facility was built when the interstate was opened in the 1960s. It does not have enough lanes to handle all the truck and passenger-vehicle traffic that uses the port during the summer.MORE IN Vermont NewsMONTPELIER — Different people have different stars. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.