Murder charge dismissed against Vt. grandmotherAugust 18,2013State dismisses
HYDE PARK — A Vermont judge has dismissed a murder charge against a Morrisville grandmother found mentally incompetent to stand trial on charges of giving a fatal drug overdose to her infant grandson.
The judge has ruled that Pamela Raymond, 56, does not need to be hospitalized and can be treated in the community.
Raymond, a former nurse, pleaded innocent to second-degree murder in the 2010 death of her 3-month-old grandson. Prosecutors say the child was given a lethal dose of an antidepressant to keep him quiet so he would not bother Raymond’s husband in September 2010.
Deputy State’s Attorney Christopher Moll said the state may file the charge again if it deems Raymond competent to stand trial.MORE IN This Just InThe nephew of the mayor of Rutland City has pleaded guilty to conspiring to distribute heroin. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: No money this year for western rail project, Lola Aiken memorialized in Montpelier, Supreme Court Castleton murder suspect will remain in jail, Shaftbury man fires shots from his AK-47 into neighbor's home.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1959, Soviet Premier Nikita S. Khrushchev arrives in U.S. for historic 13-day visit; in 1987, Secretary of State George Shultz and Soviet Foreign Minister Eduard Shevardnadze sign nuclear reduction agreement.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City celebrates completion of its newest mural, on West Street opposite the post office, more than $2 million in federal grants will bolster Vermont's health centers, Patrick McArdle reports on pending sale of Vermont papers.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Henry Hudson sails up the Hudson River as far as present-day Albany, Leo Szilard has epiphany waiting for the light to change, 3 kids report a West Virginia close encounter in 1952.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Who will run for mayor in Rutland next year? Has Bennington overcome its fear of twerking? Documentary 'Hungry Heart' packs the Paramount, and the city's Creek Path scores another million-plus dollars.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: The 1509 'Lesser Judgment' earthquake on this day at Constantinople kills 13,000 and destroys the city; in 1801, on this day, Marie Laveau, the Voodoo Queen of New Orleans is born.