Man accused of choking womanAugust 17,2013Man accused of
BENNINGTON — A local man was ordered held without bail after being accused of choking a woman.
Bobby L. Nelson, 49, pleaded innocent this week in Bennington criminal court to felony counts of second-degree aggravated domestic assault and first-degree aggravated domestic assault, and a misdemeanor charge of violating his conditions of release.
Bennington Police Officer Thalia Hudson said a woman on Applegate Drive told her early Sunday that Nelson had choked and punched her.
Hudson said the woman’s neck was red and swollen.
The woman said Nelson accused her of injuring his 7-year-old daughter’s hand earlier in the day, leading to an argument in which Nelson choked her and punched her in the mouth and jaw, Hudson wrote.
According to the affidavit, Nelson admitted to choking the woman but said it was in response to her trying to strangle him first.
Nelson has nine felony convictions and 11 misdemeanor convictions in Vermont. He was convicted of domestic assault in 2003.
Nelson said at his arraignment Monday that the allegations weren’t true. He asked for a hearing as soon as possible on whether he would continue to be held without bail.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY:
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Update on Center Alley project, review of opiate talk evening at the library and aldermen want kids to wear helmets while riding bikes around town.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.