Judge: Caraballo trial date standsAugust 05,2013By Brent Curtis
A federal judge has decided not to delay a trial for a Massachusetts man charged with killing a Brattleboro woman in 2011.
At the end of a half-hour hearing in U.S. District Court in Rutland today, Judge Christina Reiss said she wouldn't push back the Sept. 9 trial date for Frank Caraballo. However, the judge did say she reserved the right to changer her mind if at any time - even after the start of the trial - convincing arguments were made that the 31-year-old Holyoke, Mass., man's right to a fair trial was being infringed on due to a lack of time for his lawyers to prepare a defense.
Caraballo faces multiple lifetime jail sentences if he is convicted of killing 30-year-old Melissa Barratt, whose body was found in a wooded area in Dummerston on July 29, 2011.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.