Judge: Caraballo trial date standsAugust 05,2013By Brent Curtis
A federal judge has decided not to delay a trial for a Massachusetts man charged with killing a Brattleboro woman in 2011.
At the end of a half-hour hearing in U.S. District Court in Rutland today, Judge Christina Reiss said she wouldn't push back the Sept. 9 trial date for Frank Caraballo. However, the judge did say she reserved the right to changer her mind if at any time - even after the start of the trial - convincing arguments were made that the 31-year-old Holyoke, Mass., man's right to a fair trial was being infringed on due to a lack of time for his lawyers to prepare a defense.
Caraballo faces multiple lifetime jail sentences if he is convicted of killing 30-year-old Melissa Barratt, whose body was found in a wooded area in Dummerston on July 29, 2011.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Yankee announces final day of nuclear power generation in Vermont, storm brings floods back to Chester, Castleton town manager to resign office, chronic offender sentenced to 25 years for sexual assault.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.