WINOOSKI — Authorities say a fire that destroyed an apartment building in Winooski was started accidentally by a cigarette.
No one was injured in the fire Thursday afternoon, but one man who was sleeping in an apartment was rescued by neighbors who kicked in the door.
The Burlington Free Press reported that smoke was pouring from the building when a group of neighbors kicked in the door and grabbed John Maloney. Within minutes, the apartment house was ablaze with the windows blowing out.
The Red Cross said it was providing shelter for three of the four tenants and the fourth said he had a temporary place to stay.MORE IN Vermont NewsThe deaths of two babies in cases of alleged child abuse — and the state’s handling of those... Full StoryMONTPELIER — The state and its contractor for Vermont Health Connect operations and development... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1900, a crew arrives at a Scottish isle lighthouse to find the previous crew has vanished; in 1944, George S. Patton relieves Bastogne; in 1890, 'Uncle Charlie' Osborne born; in 1891, Henry Miller born in New York.