Poultney award nominees soughtJuly 31,2013Poultney award
POULTNEY — The Poultney Area Chamber of Commerce is looking for nominations for the 2014 Citizen of the Year.
Presented annually, the award honors a resident who has made major contributions to the betterment of Poultney and has provided outstanding service to the community.
Nominations are accepted in letter format and should state the name, address and phone number of the nominee, as well as a biographical sketch of the nominee and supporting testimonials.
Submission of nominations must be received by Aug. 31. They should be sent to “Citizen of the Year”, Poultney Area Chamber of Commerce, P.O. Box 151, Poultney, VT 05764 or delivered by hand to Mary Lee Harris at Stitchy Woman at 114 Main St. in Poultney.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Hazmat unit called downtown, Boys & Girls Club hosts dinner for members and families, Secret Santa back on the beat, city discusses runoff problem on Mayfield Road, Brandon gets creative about fixes to town roads, sidewalks.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1778, Capt. James Cook is first European to set eyes on Maui in Hawaiian Islands; 1922, Pharoah Tutankhamun found after 3000 years; 1909, Hollawood movie star Frances Dee born in Los Angeles.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.