ST. JOHNSBURY — A new lawyer has been appointed to represent a Vermont man who along with his wife is accused of abducting and killing a St. Johnsbury teacher last year.
A judge Monday appointed Robert Katims of Burlington to represent Allen Prue. Katims replaces attorney Dan Maguire, who said he had a conflict because one of his clients is a possible witness for the state in the murder case.
Prue and his wife, Patricia Prue, are charged with luring Melissa Jenkins from her Danville home in March 2012, strangling her and dumping her body in the Connecticut River. Jenkins’ vehicle was found idling with her 2-year-old son inside.
Patricia Prue has pleaded not guilty to aggravated murder; Allen Prue has pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder. They will be tried separately.MORE IN Vermont NewsMONTPELIER — Different people have different stars. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.