• Shooting of young Toronto man sparks outrage
    The Associated Press | July 30,2013
    • Email Article
    •  Print Article
    TORONTO — Toronto’s police chief said Monday multiple investigations are looking into the circumstances surrounding the police shooting of an armed man in an empty streetcar that was caught on video.

    The shooting, posted on YouTube, has sparked outrage in Canada’s largest city, with some calling it unnecessary police force.

    Video shows Sammy Yatim, 18, holding a knife inside the streetcar with police outside. Yatim goads police while officers yell: “Drop your knife!” Shortly after, three shots are fired. After a pause, six more shots are fired. A Taser is also later used on Yatim.

    Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit is examining the early Saturday morning shooting. The SIU says Yatim died from multiple gunshot wounds.

    Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair said he’s seen the video and is conducting a parallel investigation. He said he understands the public’s concern.

    “I have viewed the video. I recognize there is a need for answers,” Blair said.

    Mark Mendelson, a former Toronto police detective, said investigators have the benefit of the video which “doesn’t lie.”

    “If you look at it on its face value at this point, it’s not hard to come to the conclusion that excessive force was used,” Mendelson said.

    Mendelson also noted there are numerous civilian witnesses and at least two video angles of the shooting including security camera footage.

    A march has been organized for Monday evening that calls for justice for Yatim and an end to police violence.
    • Email Article
    •  Print Article
    MORE IN Wire News

    NEW YORK — New York City begins a new era in nutritional warnings this week, when chain... Full Story

    NYC’s salt warning rule set to take effect at chains

    NEW YORK — Are the brains of men and women truly different? Not if you look at the... Full Story

    Male vs. female brain? Not a valid distinction, study says

    MINNEAPOLIS — Four men were charged Monday in last week’s shooting of... Full Story

    Prosecutors charge 4 in shooting of Minneapolis protesters
    More Articles