Police: Assault, chase leads to chargesStaff Report | July 29,2013A New York man was jailed Sunday night for allegedly assaulting a person on Maple Street in Rutland and stealing their car.
City police were called to 146 Maple St. at 8:42 p.m. Sunday for a reported domestic dispute.
At the address, police say a person who lived there told them that Eric Reid, 22, of Brooklyn, N.Y., assaulted them and stole their car. Police did not identify the injured roommate.
Police say they found Reid with the roommate's car at the corner of Library Avenue and Baxter Street. Police say he tried to flee in the vehicle but drove only a short distance to Library Avenue where he left the vehicle and fled on foot.
After a short chase, police say they apprehended Reid.
He was taken to the Rutland jail and remains held on $25,000 bail. He is scheduled to be arraigned on multiple charges today in Rutland criminal court.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.