Vermont teen dies in culvert crashThe Associated Press | July 29,2013JERICHO - Vermont State Police say a motorist was killed when his van veered off a road, crashed into a metal culvert and slid on its side into a utility pole in the town of Jericho.
Police say emergency crews had to use extrication equipment to free 17-year-old Elijah Davis of Jericho, who was pronounced dead at the scene early Sunday.
Police say the van was traveling west on Route 15 in Jericho shortly after midnight when the vehicle left the road while approaching an intersection with Raceway Road. Police say it hit the metal drainage culvert head-on. The impact knocked the van onto its side before it slid roof-first into the utility pole.
An autopsy is scheduled for today.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Acclaimed illusionist & escape artist Harry Houdini, performing in Montreal in 1926, is sucker-punched by a McGill University student. Houdini doesn't know he has peritonitis - the punches are possible factor in his Oct. 31 death.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Police Chief James Baker to resign from the force at the end of the year to take a job in Washington, D.C., jury remains out in teacher killing murder trial, Rec Dept. releases report on what's wrong with White's Pool.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.