Retiree loses home in fire
By Susan Smallheer
Staff Writer | July 29,2013
NORTH SPRINGFIELD — A Springfield man escaped serious injury late Saturday afternoon when his mobile home at 258 Fairground Road burned to the ground.
Maynard Goshea, 69, received first-degree burns to his stomach and legs when he tried to go back into his home to retrieve his truck keys so he could move it.
Goshea, with an ice pack on his stomach and surrounded by friends Saturday, said he was preparing supper when he smelled an electrical burning smell. He went outside to investigate and found smoke and fire underneath his mobile home.
He said his home was quickly engulfed, and he was unable to return to his home to get his keys and medication. He said he had lived there for 16 years.
The front of the truck was melted from the heat of the blaze.
The intensity of the fire also damaged three neighboring mobile homes. At one home immediately next door to Goshea the plastic siding melted off and fell to the ground, or warped and rippled from the heat.
Other homes had other similar damage.
The mobile home park is owned by Donald Hall.
Springfield Fire Chief Russell Thompson said that when the first firefighters got to the scene it was obvious the Goshea home was gone and their efforts were focused on keeping the fire from spreading.
He said the firefighters spread firefighting foam on the neighboring homes as a precaution.
Thompson pointed to the scorched pine trees in back of the Goshea home — the trees were burned up to 40 feet in the air — as proof of the intensity of the fire.
He said the Goshea fire resulted in a small brush fire as the fire climbed up the steep embankment.
Goshea, who is retired, said he lost everything in the fire. He was standing in his stocking feet and said he lost his medication in his refrigerator.
Thompson said he had notified the Red Cross to help Goshea.
Fire departments aiding Springfield included Ascutney, West Weathersfield, Chester, Rockingham and Bellows Falls. Firefighters set up a cascade system and trucked water from nearby hydrants.
Thompson said a Springfield firefighter was sent to Springfield Hospital as a precautionary measure.