Kathleen T. BlanchardJuly 27,2013
Kathleen T. BlanchardKathleen T. Blanchard
Mrs. Kathleen T. (Tree) Blanchard, 84, of Rutland, VT, passed away Monday, May 13, 2013, at the Shady Oaks Assisted Living Center in Bristol, CT. She was the wife of the late Paul P. Blanchard.
Mrs. Blanchard was born January 28, 1929, in Rutland, VT, a daughter of the late Donald and Kathleen M. (Canty) Tree, and had lived in Rutland most of her life.
She was a graduate of Mount St. Joseph Academy in Rutland, worked at Cinderella Sweets, and also attended the Rutland Business School.
Mrs. Blanchard was a volunteer at the Rutland Regional Medical Center, where she received the President’s Volunteer Award for over 25 years of service.
Being the wife of a salesman, she and her husband Paul lived in several states, but upon his retirement they returned to their beloved Vermont.
She enjoyed rides in the countryside and loved the mountains of Vermont. She also enjoyed chocolate, the poetry of Robert Frost, especially his poem “Mending Wall,” shopping at Talbots, shopping for new pocketbooks, and going out to dinner with family and friends, and was an avid bridge player.
But most of all she loved spending time with her beloved grandson Teddy and attending all of his events.
In Bristol, she was a Communicant of St. Matthew Church and was a longtime Communicant of Christ the King Catholic Church in Rutland, where she was a member of the Ladies Sodality.
She leaves her daughters, Joan Carey of Bristol, and MaryAnn Blanchard of West Palm Beach, Florida; her beloved grandson Teddy Carey of Bristol; and her best friend, Lorraine Gilbert and longtime neighbor and friend, Marilyn Papineau.
She also leaves behind her niece Virginia Sue (Gigi) Blanchard of Lourdes, France, and her nephews — Jason and Joel Blanchard and Gale, Bill, and John Littler. She was predeceased by her brother, Richard “Dickey” Tree, and her son-in-law, Michael J. Carey.
Funeral services for Mrs. Blanchard will be held Wednesday, July 31, 2013, at 10 a.m. at Christ the King Church in Rutland. Officiating will be the Rev. Justin Baker, pastor.
Committal services will be in Calvary Cemetery in Rutland, with a reception to follow. There are no calling hours.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Sisters of St. Joseph, 34 Lower Westfield Road, Holyoke, MA 01040.
Arrangements are under the direction of Clifford Funeral Home in Rutland.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?