Bosnian in Vt. accused of lying about war crimesThe Associated Press | July 26,2013BURLINGTON - Federal authorities in Vermont say an immigrant faces charges of lying to immigration authorities by denying involvement in war crimes during the conflict in Bosnia two decades ago.
An indictment says Edin Sakoc, a Bosnian Muslim, committed war crimes against a civilian Bosnian Serb family. He's accused of raping a Serb woman, aiding in the killing of two elderly people she was caring for and burning down the house they were staying in.
Authorities say Sakoc lied when he applied for refugee status and for permanent residence in the United States by denying any past crimes of persecution.
He is due for an initial appearance in federal court this afternoon in Burlington. Neither the court nor the public defender's office had a lawyer listed for him.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.