Skydiver takes out shortstop
HANNIBAL, Mo. — A player in a collegiate summer league will miss the rest of the season after being kicked in the face by a skydiver during a pre-game show in Missouri.
Shortstop Mattingly Romanin and his Hannibal Cavemen teammates were on the field, about to play the Terre Haute Rex on Saturday, when three skydivers dropped onto Clemens Field, a historic ballpark in Mark Twain’s boyhood home of Hannibal, Mo.
Video posted on YouTube showed one of the divers veering too close to Romanin, who was knocked over. He eventually played all nine innings in Hannibal’s 7-3 loss.
Romanin had headaches, and a doctor on Monday determined he had a concussion. After consulting with his coach at Chicago State University, he decided to shut down for the season.MORE IN Wire SportsDETROIT — Tuukka Rask finished with a 23-save shutout to give the Boston Bruins a 3-0 win over... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.