Red Sox, Pedroia finalize deal
BOSTON — The Boston Red Sox and All-Star second baseman Dustin Pedroia have finalized a $110 million, eight-year contract through the 2021 season.
Pedroia had been signed for 2014 at $10 million under his old deal. The new contract was announced Wednesday.
The 5-foot-8, 165-pound infielder was the AL Rookie of the Year in 2007 and AL MVP in 2008.
Pedroia said on Tuesday that he was looking forward to completing the deal because “this is my home.”
Pedroia is batting .306 this season with 25 doubles, six home runs and 58 RBIs. In his seven-year career — all with the Red Sox — he has a .303 batting average and an on-base percentage of .371.MORE IN Wire SportsAKRON, Ohio — Tiger Woods finds out over the next two weeks if his season is over or just getting... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Yankee announces final day of nuclear power generation in Vermont, storm brings floods back to Chester, Castleton town manager to resign office, chronic offender sentenced to 25 years for sexual assault.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.