Red Sox, Pedroia finalize deal
BOSTON — The Boston Red Sox and All-Star second baseman Dustin Pedroia have finalized a $110 million, eight-year contract through the 2021 season.
Pedroia had been signed for 2014 at $10 million under his old deal. The new contract was announced Wednesday.
The 5-foot-8, 165-pound infielder was the AL Rookie of the Year in 2007 and AL MVP in 2008.
Pedroia said on Tuesday that he was looking forward to completing the deal because “this is my home.”
Pedroia is batting .306 this season with 25 doubles, six home runs and 58 RBIs. In his seven-year career — all with the Red Sox — he has a .303 batting average and an on-base percentage of .371.MORE IN Wire SportsDENVER — Next up for Peyton Manning: the NFL passing yardage record. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.