ST. JOHNSBURY — Schools in St. Johnsbury are now required to hang an American flag and make time for the Pledge of Allegiance.
Vermont is one of a handful of states that don’t require the pledge to be recited in public schools. The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that students and teachers may not be compelled to participate even in states that require it.
The School Board recently decided that public schools should set aside time for the pledge. Students who want to opt out can still do so.MORE IN Vermont NewsDVHA Commissioner Mark Larson told lawmakers Tuesday of a second privacy breadh on Vermont Health... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- VIDEO: The play that's under appeal from the DIII state football championships
- VIDEO: Downhill excitement at Silverheels Cup at Okemo
- VIDEO: Woodstock takes on U-32 football
- VIDEO: 2013 Vermont Amateur Golf Tournament
- VIDEO: Police investigate Pittsford homicide
- VIDEO: Rutland High School Graduation