Police: Man stabbed over beer disputeJuly 21,2013By Josh O'Gorman
A Ripton man is in good condition after a dispute over a beer sent him to the hospital with a stab wound early Sunday morning.
According to Rutland City Police, Douglas Smith, 39, and Cynthia Namiot, 39, of Rutland, were drinking at a residence on Forest Street when the two had an argument over which beer belonged to whom.
According to police, Namiot stabbed Smith once in his torso. Smith was taken to Rutland Regional Medical Center. He was listed in good condition Sunday afternoon, according to a hospital spokewoman.
Police charged Namiot with aggravated assault and violating the conditions of her release on an unrelated charge. She was held at Rutland jail on $50,000 bail and is scheduled to appear Monday in Rutland Criminal Court.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.