Police warn of phone scamJuly 19,2013Police warn of phone scam
BRATTLEBORO — The Brattleboro Police Department is warning about a telephone scam targeting seniors.
Police said a resident reported being contacted and asked to make an appointment to have a medical system installed.
When the person said no such system had been purchased, the caller said the device was on order and must have been bought by a loved one or someone concerned about the person’s safety.
Police say the caller continued to ask for an installation date and other information.
Authorities are warning residents to be cautious of telephone calls from people they don’t know. They say the callers are often trying to make money or get personal or banking information.MORE IN This Just InTRENTON, N.J. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Tibetans' ability to breathe and absorb oxygen at high altitude might have been inherited from their ancient ancestors, our new pals, the Denisovans, more dominant in their day than anybody can remember.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald Editor Rob Mitchell and staff writer Bryanna Allen discuss conflict at Open Door Mission, MSJ's new principal, teens carve marble in West Rutland.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Researchers find new species of hominid, the Denisovans, and follow genetic evidence that place them across a wide swath of the globe before extinction 40,000 years ago.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Proctor estate sale hits serious legal speed bump, Rutland Town wraps up solar project regulations, Patty Minichiello interviews visiting sculptor in West Rutland and Castleton Crackers honored with national award.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Tamerlane, in 1401 on this day, lays waste to Baghdad; 'Rock Around The Clock' hits No. 1 on Billboard chart in 1955, stays there for eight weeks.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Texas towns, shaken by earthquakes linked to fracking for gas and oil, are fed up and scared, want to ban the practice,