Tractor crash critically injures Bennington manJuly 18,2013Tractor crash sends man to Albany
BENNINGTON — A local 84-year-old man was critically injured in a crash on Carpenter Hill Road about 5:40 p.m. Tuesday, according to Lt. Lloyd Dean of the Bennington Police Department.
Felix R. Lecours, 84, of Bennington, was driving a Ford F250 pickup truck that crashed into a tractor, police said.
Lecours was not wearing a seat belt and needed to be extricated from the truck with the jaws-of-life extrication tools. He was taken to the Southwestern Vermont Medical Center in Bennington and then flown to the Albany (N.Y.) Medical Center with critical, life threatening injuries, Dean said.
After a preliminary investigation, police believe Lecours was driving north on Carpenter Hill Road from Pownal into Bennington.
As he approached the first 90 degree curve in the road he continued to drive straight with the left front of his truck hitting a Kobota farm tractor, driven by Lewis Garnett, 51 of Bennington
Garnett was driving the tractor south on Carpenter Hill, pulling a trailer of dirt. Andrew Martin, 57, was a passenger on the trailer.
On impact, the pick-up truck was flipped onto the passenger side and slid to a stop. The left rear tire was torn away from the tractor,
Dean said Garnett and Martin both suffered injuries but the injuries were not considered life-threatening. Both were taken to SVMC for treatment.
Garnett, who was wearing his seat belt, was taken to the hospital by the Bennington Rescue Squad while Martin, who was thrown from the dirt trailer, was taken to the hospital by his employer.
Response at the scene was hampered by an excessive amount of oil leaked onto the pavement from both vehicles, Dean said.
The crash is being investigated by Officer Roscoe Harrington, of the Bennington Police Department. Members of the Bennington Rural Fire Department also responded to the scene.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?