Former town clerk sentenced to two years in prisonJuly 18,2013Staff Report
The former Weybridge town clerk and treasurer who pleaded guilty to embezzling more than $400,000 from the town was sentenced Thursday to serve two years in federal prison.
In a hearing afternoon in U.S. District Court in Rutland, Judge Christina Reiss sentenced Karen Brisson, 50, of Weybridge to two years in prison and three years of released supervision.
She is expected to pay more than $430,000 in restitution to the town of Weybridge and the Vermont League of Cities and Town.
Brisson, who served as town clerk and treasurer for the town for 27 years, stole money from the town between no later than 2006 and continued through November of last year when she resigned. She is expected to report to serve her sentence Sept. 3.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1935, New York gangster, bootlegger, ruthless murderer Dutch Schultz, born Arthur Flegenheimer to Jewish-German immigrant parents, and three associates gunned down, killed, at the Palace Chophouse in Newark, N.J.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Acclaimed illusionist & escape artist Harry Houdini, performing in Montreal in 1926, is sucker-punched by a McGill University student. Houdini doesn't know he has peritonitis - the punches are possible factor in his Oct. 31 death.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Police Chief James Baker to resign from the force at the end of the year to take a job in Washington, D.C., jury remains out in teacher killing murder trial, Rec Dept. releases report on what's wrong with White's Pool.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.