Former town clerk sentenced to two years in prisonJuly 18,2013Staff Report
The former Weybridge town clerk and treasurer who pleaded guilty to embezzling more than $400,000 from the town was sentenced Thursday to serve two years in federal prison.
In a hearing afternoon in U.S. District Court in Rutland, Judge Christina Reiss sentenced Karen Brisson, 50, of Weybridge to two years in prison and three years of released supervision.
She is expected to pay more than $430,000 in restitution to the town of Weybridge and the Vermont League of Cities and Town.
Brisson, who served as town clerk and treasurer for the town for 27 years, stole money from the town between no later than 2006 and continued through November of last year when she resigned. She is expected to report to serve her sentence Sept. 3.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Highway Trust Fund bill passage Vt. projects are moving forward, about 20 state inmates are seeking clemency through new federal standards and search is on to find temporary member for State Colleges Board of Trustees.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Workers on this day in 1984 in a Cheshire, England, peat bog find well-preserved human remains at least 2,000 years dead, born this day in 1843, Robert Todd Lincoln, eldest son of the president, present at three assassinations.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: A fiery pit nicknamed the 'Gate of Hell' in the Karakum desert in Turkmenistan has been burning for 40 years.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: osh O'Gorman reports on the impact of state budget cuts on state colleges, Rutland Town welcomes Donna Zeller as town clerk, Bryanna Allen in Killington for chili cookoff and Haley talks up the big Shrine game with N.H. and Vt.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.