Westside fire ruled accidental
WEST RUTLAND — Investigators said the cause of a fire that destroyed a home on Mead Road was accidental and mostly likely due to a failure with a power strip device.
Police said firefighters arrived at the address Sunday afternoon and found heavy smoke and fire coming out from a front window. Damage to the residence was extensive and will most likely result in a total loss.
Police said the owners were not home, though they did lose one cat during the fire.
The state Department of Public Safety said people should remember to use electrical devices including power strips in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations.