Westside fire ruled accidentalJuly 16,2013WEST RUTLAND — Investigators said the cause of a fire that destroyed a home on Mead Road was accidental and mostly likely due to a failure with a power strip device.
Police said firefighters arrived at the address Sunday afternoon and found heavy smoke and fire coming out from a front window. Damage to the residence was extensive and will most likely result in a total loss.
Police said the owners were not home, though they did lose one cat during the fire.
The state Department of Public Safety said people should remember to use electrical devices including power strips in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations.MORE IN This Just InJust days before his crusade with cancer was lost, Sgt. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.