COVENTRY — Vermont officials say a German light aircraft manufacturer is going to set up operations at the Newport State Airport creating 25 jobs.
The expansion was announced Thursday by Gov. Peter Shumlin and the owners of the Jay Peak resort who are leading an economic charge designed to create thousands of jobs in Vermont’s Northeast Kingdom.
Flight Design USA manufactures seven light-sport aircraft models and has delivered more than 1,800 airplanes to customers around the world.
The Newport assembly and distribution facility will be Flight Design’s fifth distribution center in the U.S. It will distribute light-sport aircraft to New England and Eastern Canada.
Construction is due to begin next spring and operations will begin next summer, as will a flight school.
The Newport airport is located in the town of Coventry.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1898, Nelson Miles leads American troops into Puerto Rico during Spanish-American War, Bob Dylan electrifies Newport Folk Festival in 1965, author and longshoreman Eric Hoffer born this day in 1902.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: No charges to be filed inconnection with crash of city police cruiser, farmers group turn to Internet to raise money for solar project, Street Talk polls passersby about legal marijuana.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information for Friday, July 25, and easily digestible news tidbits: Mysterious enormous hole in the Siberian tundra baffles scientists.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Ever wonder why the otherwise straight-lined Appalachian chain's got a big crimp in it in Pennsylvania and and New York?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Scott Milne opens campaign for governor's office, crime statistics fall in city, new home for homeless prevention center, traffic cameras are not watching you, capital panel hears testimony about protecting children.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!