Vt. man pleads not guilty in Westfield killingThe Associated Press | July 11,2013NEWPORT - A 49-year-old Vermont man is being held without bail after making his initial court appearance on a second-degree murder charge in the shooting death of a man in Westfield.
Peter Lavalette pleaded not guilty Wednesday in Orleans County Court to a charge he shot to death 61-year-old George Kouzoujian.
Police say Kouzoujian was shot multiple times in the head on June 28.
Lavalette was arrested in Indiana July 1. Acting on information provided by Indiana police, Vermont State Police detectives found Kouzoujian's body.
Lavalette's attorney Jill Jourdan did not respond Wednesday to a request for comment.
Court documents say Lavalette told police in Indiana he'd shot Kouzoujian four or five times in the head.
There's no word on a motive.MORE IN This Just InMONTPELIER — The state Public Service Board has ordered Vermont Gas Systems to stop digging... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Nelson Mandela on the primacy of teaching love over hate.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Yankee announces final day of nuclear power generation in Vermont, storm brings floods back to Chester, Castleton town manager to resign office, chronic offender sentenced to 25 years for sexual assault.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Earth barely avoids being blasted by immense solar flare in 2012, astrophysicists say next time might not be so lucky.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1898, Nelson Miles leads American troops into Puerto Rico during Spanish-American War, Bob Dylan electrifies Newport Folk Festival in 1965, author and longshoreman Eric Hoffer born this day in 1902.