Vt. man pleads not guilty in Westfield killingThe Associated Press | July 11,2013NEWPORT - A 49-year-old Vermont man is being held without bail after making his initial court appearance on a second-degree murder charge in the shooting death of a man in Westfield.
Peter Lavalette pleaded not guilty Wednesday in Orleans County Court to a charge he shot to death 61-year-old George Kouzoujian.
Police say Kouzoujian was shot multiple times in the head on June 28.
Lavalette was arrested in Indiana July 1. Acting on information provided by Indiana police, Vermont State Police detectives found Kouzoujian's body.
Lavalette's attorney Jill Jourdan did not respond Wednesday to a request for comment.
Court documents say Lavalette told police in Indiana he'd shot Kouzoujian four or five times in the head.
There's no word on a motive.MORE IN This Just InMONTPELIER — The state Public Service Board has ordered Vermont Gas Systems to stop digging... Full StoryBRANDON – The Select Board on Monday night took another stab at cobbling together a budget,... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Earth barely avoids being blasted by immense solar flare in 2012, astrophysicists say next time might not be so lucky.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1898, Nelson Miles leads American troops into Puerto Rico during Spanish-American War, Bob Dylan electrifies Newport Folk Festival in 1965, author and longshoreman Eric Hoffer born this day in 1902.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: No charges to be filed inconnection with crash of city police cruiser, farmers group turn to Internet to raise money for solar project, Street Talk polls passersby about legal marijuana.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information for Friday, July 25, and easily digestible news tidbits: Mysterious enormous hole in the Siberian tundra baffles scientists.