Vt. man pleads not guilty in Westfield killingThe Associated Press | July 11,2013NEWPORT - A 49-year-old Vermont man is being held without bail after making his initial court appearance on a second-degree murder charge in the shooting death of a man in Westfield.
Peter Lavalette pleaded not guilty Wednesday in Orleans County Court to a charge he shot to death 61-year-old George Kouzoujian.
Police say Kouzoujian was shot multiple times in the head on June 28.
Lavalette was arrested in Indiana July 1. Acting on information provided by Indiana police, Vermont State Police detectives found Kouzoujian's body.
Lavalette's attorney Jill Jourdan did not respond Wednesday to a request for comment.
Court documents say Lavalette told police in Indiana he'd shot Kouzoujian four or five times in the head.
There's no word on a motive.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Woodstock Ave. lane reconfiguration trial will go forward despite resistance, Rutland city engineer decamps for greener pastures in flatlands, technology changes the way many people file tax returns.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Gulf wildlife still dying from 2010 BP oil spill, Veena in Cabo San Lucas, Gertrude Stein on family living, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Police officer identified in deadly Brattleboro shooting, school consolidation boosters silent on savings, lawmakers nix legal marijuana for PTSD and scrap yard helps solve half-ton heist.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Coyotes are true American survivors, Veena on Narragansett Pier, Vladimir Nabokov in Paris.