81-year-old woman killed in Bennington crashStaff Report | July 11,2013BENNINGTON - An 81-year-old Bennington woman was killed Thursday morning when a vehicle she was riding in crashed into a tree, according to police.
Rachele M. Blott, who was sitting the backseat of the 2007 Buick four-door sedan, died of the injuries she suffered in the crash, police said.
The one-vehicle crash took place on Crescent Boulevard around 11:10 a.m. near the intersection with Westside Drive, police said.
Police said arriving at the scene they discovered that three sisters had been in the vehicle. The driver, Yvette Blott, 85, was pinned behind the steering wheel, and Colette D. Blott, 82, was out of the car trying to aid her sister in the backseat, Rachele Blott, according to police.
A preliminary investigation has shown that the vehicle was westbound on Crescent Boulevard and as it approached the area of Westside Drive and Pine Circle the car veered off the right side of the road and drove into a large pine tree, police said, adding that the car spun away from the tree and came to a stop..
All three sisters were treated at the scene by police and rescue and all were taken to Southwestern Vermont Medical Center for treatment. Police added that Yvette Blott was being transferred to the Albany, N.Y., Medical Center for back injuries, and Colette Blott was in stable condition at SVMC.
Police said the crash remains under investigation.MORE IN This Just InTOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Josh O'Gorman reports on the impact of state budget cuts on state colleges, Rutland Town welcomes Donna Zeller as town clerk, Bryanna Allen in Killington for chili cookoff and Haley talks up big Shrine game with N.H. and Vt. 0Rutland Herald News Editor Alan J. Full StoryWHITE RIVER JUNCTION — A Royalton man denied charges that he pointed a gun at a woman and her... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: osh O'Gorman reports on the impact of state budget cuts on state colleges, Rutland Town welcomes Donna Zeller as town clerk, Bryanna Allen in Killington for chili cookoff and Haley talks up the big Shrine game with N.H. and Vt.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Yankee announces final day of nuclear power generation in Vermont, storm brings floods back to Chester, Castleton town manager to resign office, chronic offender sentenced to 25 years for sexual assault.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.