81-year-old woman killed in Bennington crashStaff Report | July 11,2013BENNINGTON - An 81-year-old Bennington woman was killed Thursday morning when a vehicle she was riding in crashed into a tree, according to police.
Rachele M. Blott, who was sitting the backseat of the 2007 Buick four-door sedan, died of the injuries she suffered in the crash, police said.
The one-vehicle crash took place on Crescent Boulevard around 11:10 a.m. near the intersection with Westside Drive, police said.
Police said arriving at the scene they discovered that three sisters had been in the vehicle. The driver, Yvette Blott, 85, was pinned behind the steering wheel, and Colette D. Blott, 82, was out of the car trying to aid her sister in the backseat, Rachele Blott, according to police.
A preliminary investigation has shown that the vehicle was westbound on Crescent Boulevard and as it approached the area of Westside Drive and Pine Circle the car veered off the right side of the road and drove into a large pine tree, police said, adding that the car spun away from the tree and came to a stop..
All three sisters were treated at the scene by police and rescue and all were taken to Southwestern Vermont Medical Center for treatment. Police added that Yvette Blott was being transferred to the Albany, N.Y., Medical Center for back injuries, and Colette Blott was in stable condition at SVMC.
Police said the crash remains under investigation.MORE IN This Just InTOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock. 0Rutland Herald News Editor Alan Keays and sports reporter Tom Haley discuss some of the stories... Full StorySPRINGFIELD - Rescue crews from Springfield and Hartford's swiftwater rescue team Tuesday morning... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Woodstock Ave. lane reconfiguration trial will go forward despite resistance, Rutland city engineer decamps for greener pastures in flatlands, technology changes the way many people file tax returns.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Gulf wildlife still dying from 2010 BP oil spill, Veena in Cabo San Lucas, Gertrude Stein on family living, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Police officer identified in deadly Brattleboro shooting, school consolidation boosters silent on savings, lawmakers nix legal marijuana for PTSD and scrap yard helps solve half-ton heist.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Coyotes are true American survivors, Veena on Narragansett Pier, Vladimir Nabokov in Paris.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Bad crash in Rutland Town sends driver to hospital, natural gas pipeline get support from Addison County Planning Commission.