81-year-old woman killed in Bennington crashStaff Report | July 11,2013BENNINGTON - An 81-year-old Bennington woman was killed Thursday morning when a vehicle she was riding in crashed into a tree, according to police.
Rachele M. Blott, who was sitting the backseat of the 2007 Buick four-door sedan, died of the injuries she suffered in the crash, police said.
The one-vehicle crash took place on Crescent Boulevard around 11:10 a.m. near the intersection with Westside Drive, police said.
Police said arriving at the scene they discovered that three sisters had been in the vehicle. The driver, Yvette Blott, 85, was pinned behind the steering wheel, and Colette D. Blott, 82, was out of the car trying to aid her sister in the backseat, Rachele Blott, according to police.
A preliminary investigation has shown that the vehicle was westbound on Crescent Boulevard and as it approached the area of Westside Drive and Pine Circle the car veered off the right side of the road and drove into a large pine tree, police said, adding that the car spun away from the tree and came to a stop..
All three sisters were treated at the scene by police and rescue and all were taken to Southwestern Vermont Medical Center for treatment. Police added that Yvette Blott was being transferred to the Albany, N.Y., Medical Center for back injuries, and Colette Blott was in stable condition at SVMC.
Police said the crash remains under investigation.MORE IN This Just InRICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet. 0Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott uploads astronomic, historic and epigrammatic data... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 365 CE, eastern Mediterranean rocked by high magnitude earthquake and tsunami, in 1865, Davis 'Little Dave' Tutt meets Wild Bill Hickock in Springfield, Mo., to settle differences.