81-year-old woman killed in Bennington crashStaff Report | July 11,2013BENNINGTON - An 81-year-old Bennington woman was killed Thursday morning when a vehicle she was riding in crashed into a tree, according to police.
Rachele M. Blott, who was sitting the backseat of the 2007 Buick four-door sedan, died of the injuries she suffered in the crash, police said.
The one-vehicle crash took place on Crescent Boulevard around 11:10 a.m. near the intersection with Westside Drive, police said.
Police said arriving at the scene they discovered that three sisters had been in the vehicle. The driver, Yvette Blott, 85, was pinned behind the steering wheel, and Colette D. Blott, 82, was out of the car trying to aid her sister in the backseat, Rachele Blott, according to police.
A preliminary investigation has shown that the vehicle was westbound on Crescent Boulevard and as it approached the area of Westside Drive and Pine Circle the car veered off the right side of the road and drove into a large pine tree, police said, adding that the car spun away from the tree and came to a stop..
All three sisters were treated at the scene by police and rescue and all were taken to Southwestern Vermont Medical Center for treatment. Police added that Yvette Blott was being transferred to the Albany, N.Y., Medical Center for back injuries, and Colette Blott was in stable condition at SVMC.
Police said the crash remains under investigation.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY:
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Update on Center Alley project, review of opiate talk evening at the library and aldermen want kids to wear helmets while riding bikes around town.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.