Vt. hospital cuts 19 employeesThe Associated Press | July 11,2013NEWPORT - A Vermont hospital has cut 19 workers and reduced hours for three others to deal with dropping revenue.
The Caledonian Record reported that the cutbacks at North Country Hospital in Newport are to save $1.3 million, to make up for a $1.6 million operating loss this year out of an $80 million budget.
The cuts affected 3 percent of the 600 who work for the hospital and its clinics.
Most of the cuts affect non-clinical staff, from administration, human resources, accounting and the facilities maintenance departments. Six of the employees work in the occupational medicine and psychiatry clinics, which are closing.
Claudio Fort, North Country's president, said the 25-bed critical care hospital could not continue to run a deficit and keep serving the 30,000 people that depend on it.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Earth barely avoids being blasted by immense solar flare in 2012, astrophysicists say next time might not be so lucky.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1898, Nelson Miles leads American troops into Puerto Rico during Spanish-American War, Bob Dylan electrifies Newport Folk Festival in 1965, author and longshoreman Eric Hoffer born this day in 1902.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: No charges to be filed inconnection with crash of city police cruiser, farmers group turn to Internet to raise money for solar project, Street Talk polls passersby about legal marijuana.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information for Friday, July 25, and easily digestible news tidbits: Mysterious enormous hole in the Siberian tundra baffles scientists.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Ever wonder why the otherwise straight-lined Appalachian chain's got a big crimp in it in Pennsylvania and and New York?