Vt. hospital cuts 19 employeesThe Associated Press | July 11,2013NEWPORT - A Vermont hospital has cut 19 workers and reduced hours for three others to deal with dropping revenue.
The Caledonian Record reported that the cutbacks at North Country Hospital in Newport are to save $1.3 million, to make up for a $1.6 million operating loss this year out of an $80 million budget.
The cuts affected 3 percent of the 600 who work for the hospital and its clinics.
Most of the cuts affect non-clinical staff, from administration, human resources, accounting and the facilities maintenance departments. Six of the employees work in the occupational medicine and psychiatry clinics, which are closing.
Claudio Fort, North Country's president, said the 25-bed critical care hospital could not continue to run a deficit and keep serving the 30,000 people that depend on it.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE:Chemicals used in hydraulic fracturing that pollute ground water and the air we breathe come under scrutiny by researchers who find at least eight fracking chemicals toxic to mammals.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: The craze for Omega-3 fatty acids as a dietary supplement in its most popular form, fish oil, has led to depletion of fish stocks in oceans throughout the world. Is this the beginning of the total collapse of global fisheries?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Suspects arrested in Killington bear death, Bryanna Allen and Kevin O'Connor report along the Back to School front, Rutland Plywood site remains an active fire scene as debris continues to smolder.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Forests around Chernobyl, even though dead from massive irradiation after nuclear accident 30 years ago, still have not even begun to decompose, natural balance disrupted at microbial level.
- Dogs have their day at White's Pool
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1609, Galileo demonstrates his telescope to Venetian lawmakers; during the same year, the Spanish Inquisition begins Basque witch trials, Henry Hudson sets sail from Amsterdam to North America, Shakespeare's sonnets published.