Town keeps old equipment at rinkJuly 09,2013BRATTLEBORO — The Brattleboro Select Board is going to stick with the aging refrigeration equipment at the town’s skating rink for at least one more year to ensure that the ice is ready in the Vermont town for the upcoming season.
The compressors at the Nelson Withington Skating Rink failed at the end of the last season and the town has been considering investing in a new system. But the estimate came in at almost $500,000, about $150,000 more than the community had set aside for the project.
The Brattleboro Reformer reported that the board agreed to invest between $30,000 and $40,000 in the compressors at the facility, even though there’s no guarantee the equipment will hold up for another season.
The skating season is due to start in late October.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: No charges to be filed inconnection with crash of city police cruiser, farmers group turn to Internet to raise money for solar project, Street Talk polls passersby about legal marijuana.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1898, Nelson Miles leads American troops into Puerto Rico during Spanish-American War, Bob Dylan electrifies Newport Folk Festival in 1965, author and longshoreman Eric Hoffer born this day in 1902.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information for Friday, July 25, and easily digestible news tidbits: Mysterious enormous hole in the Siberian tundra baffles scientists.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Ever wonder why the otherwise straight-lined Appalachian chain's got a big crimp in it in Pennsylvania and and New York?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Scott Milne opens campaign for governor's office, crime statistics fall in city, new home for homeless prevention center, traffic cameras are not watching you, capital panel hears testimony about protecting children.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!