Vermont joins push for cleaner vehiclesThe Associated Press | July 09,2013MONTPELIER - Vermont is joining 14 other states and cities in calling for the federal Environmental Protection Agency to adopt proposed new rules calling for big cuts in pollution from vehicles by 2017.
The standards would cut smog-producing emissions from vehicles by 80 percent and soot by 70 percent.
Attorney General William Sorrell says the so-called Tier 3 standards will cut air pollution emissions in an amount equivalent to taking 33 million of today's vehicles off the road.
Cars, light-duty trucks and certain heavier vehicles would be affected by rules aimed at reducing emissions of nitrogen oxides, volatile organic compounds, soot and sulfur.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.