Vt. police head to Indiana to return suspectThe Associated Press | July 09,2013NEWPORT - Authorities say a man arrested in Indiana in connection with a fatal shooting in Vermont is not fighting his return to the state.
Orleans County State's Attorney Alan Franklin tells the Caledonian Record that 49-year-old Peter Lavalette of Jay waived his right to further hearings in Jasper County, Ind., on Friday.
A team from the Vermont State Police left Monday to retrieve Lavalette and bring him back for arraignment on a second-degree murder charge in the shooting death of 61-year-old George Kouzoujian.
Authorities say Lavalette was stopped for a traffic violation in Indiana and indicated he was involved in a homicide in Westfield.
Police say based on Lavalette's comments troopers found Kouzoujian dead at a residence on Fuller Road.MORE IN This Just InTOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock. 0Rutland Herald News Editor Alan Keays and sports reporter Tom Haley discuss some of the stories... Full StorySPRINGFIELD - Rescue crews from Springfield and Hartford's swiftwater rescue team Tuesday morning... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Woodstock Ave. lane reconfiguration trial will go forward despite resistance, Rutland city engineer decamps for greener pastures in flatlands, technology changes the way many people file tax returns.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Gulf wildlife still dying from 2010 BP oil spill, Veena in Cabo San Lucas, Gertrude Stein on family living, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Police officer identified in deadly Brattleboro shooting, school consolidation boosters silent on savings, lawmakers nix legal marijuana for PTSD and scrap yard helps solve half-ton heist.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Coyotes are true American survivors, Veena on Narragansett Pier, Vladimir Nabokov in Paris.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Bad crash in Rutland Town sends driver to hospital, natural gas pipeline get support from Addison County Planning Commission.