Vermont man fights extradition to NH in murder caseJuly 08,2013AP FILE PHOTO
In this July 3 photo, James Robarge sits in criminal court in Brattleboro during arraignment on motor vehicle charges for an incident in Bellows Falls. He appeared today in court to face a charge of second-degree murder.A Rockingham man is fighting extradition to New Hampshire where authorities today filed a charge against him of second-degree murder in the death of his estranged wife.
James Robarge, 43, appeared this afternoon in Brattleboro criminal court where his attorney stated that he would be fighting extradition to New Hampshire. Authorities in New Hampshire will now seek a governor’s warrant to force Robarge’s return to that state, a process that is expected to take about a month.
In the meantime, Robarge is being held at the Springfield prison.
The second-degree murder charge alleges that Robarge recklessly caused the death of 42-year-old Kelly Robarge on June 27 in Charlestown, N.H. by inflicting trauma to her body.
James Robarge has been held at the Springfield prison on unrelated motor vehicle charges stemming from his arrest last week in Bellows Falls near a medical center.
N.H. Fish and Game officers and New England K-9 Search and Rescue found the body of a woman Saturday in a wooded area in Unity, N.H. An autopsy Sunday confirmed the body was that of Kelly Robarge, and the cause of death was homicidal violence by undetermined causes.
On June 27, the day she disappeared, Kelly Robarge had filed for a divorce from Robarge. Shortly after she was reported missing, New Hampshire authorities had said they feared she had suffered serious injury or death.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY:
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Update on Center Alley project, review of opiate talk evening at the library and aldermen want kids to wear helmets while riding bikes around town.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.