Laura H. BediJuly 06,2013Laura H. Bedi
Springfield— Laura H. Bedi, 99, died Thursday, July 4, 2013, at Springfield Health & Rehabilitation Center.
She was born Sept. 13, 1913, in Utica, N.Y., the daughter of Costanti and Caroline (Naruc) Hayna.
She attended Weathersfield schools.
On June 26, 1937, she married Victor Bedi in Springfield. Mr. Bedi died in 1979.
Mrs. Bedi was employed at a shoe factory in Newport, N.H., woolen mills in Ludlow, Whitney Blake in Bellows Falls, Pratt & Whitney in East Hartford, Conn., General Electric in Burlington, as manager of the fabric department at Britt’s in Springfield and as cook at St. Mary’s Catholic Church in Springfield for many years.
At St. Mary’s Church, she was also past president of the Altar Society, as well as a member of the choir and Catholic Daughters of the Americas. She also served as a Girl Scout leader.
Survivors include a daughter, Victoria Bedi of North Springfield; three sisters, Frances Sloan, Victoria Lockwood, both of Springfield, and Pauline Kelly of Perkinsville; several nieces, nephews and cousins.
She was predeceased by three siblings, Josephine Stryhas, Nellie Grochowick and Steve Hayna.
There are no calling hours.
A funeral Mass will be celebrated at 11 a.m. Monday, July 8, at St. Mary’s Catholic Church in Springfield, with the Rev. Peter Williams, pastor, officiating and followed by burial in St. Mary’s Cemetery.
Memorial contributions may be made to Springfield Humane Society, 401 Skitchewaug Trail, Springfield, VT 05156.
Arrangements are under the direction of the Davis Memorial Chapel in Springfield.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Update on Center Alley project, review of opiate talk evening at the library and aldermen want kids to wear helmets while riding bikes around town.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Woodstock Ave. lane reconfiguration trial will go forward despite resistance, Rutland city engineer decamps for greener pastures in flatlands, technology changes the way many people file tax returns.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Gulf wildlife still dying from 2010 BP oil spill, Veena in Cabo San Lucas, Gertrude Stein on family living, all in today's minute.