French, Vt. mayors
BURLINGTON ó The mayor of the French city that produced the explorer who discovered Lake Champlain are in Vermont to mark a sister-cities agreement with Burlington.
Burlington Mayor Miro Weinberger signed a friendship agreement Wednesday with Mayor Michel LaMarre of Honfleur, a city in the Lower Normandy regional of France.
Lamarre and others from Honfleur are in Vermont to mark the signing of a Friendship Agreement.
Marcelle Leahy, the wife of U.S. Sen. Patrick Leahy, also will attend with her husband. Her ancestors came from the Normandy region of France.
French explorer Samuel de Champlain was the leader of a 1609 expedition of the first Europeans to see Lake Champlain.MORE IN Vermont News(Editorís note: This is the final part of an Associated Press series of profiles on candidates... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1871, After long summer drought comes simultaneous devastating upper Midwest wildfires; Chicago city center in ruins; in 1967, after brief firefight, Ernesto 'Che' Guevara captured alive in Bolivian jungle camp.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City aldermen discuss future of recreation department facilities, three bears killed in interstate crash, town school principal rewards students' good reading habits, fight at city jail sends a man to hospital.