Plea deal made
in deadly crash
HYDE PARK ó A Vermont driver, accused of killing a motorcyclist in a crash and then leaving the scene of the accident, has reached a plea deal with prosecutors that would result in a sentence of up to five years.
Benjamin Miller, 19, admitted Tuesday to huffing dust cleaner moments before the crash in June 2012 in Johnson.
Police say his car slammed into the back of the motorcycle and the rider rolled onto their hood, then underneath the car.
The crash killed Ronald Turgeon, 56, of Berlin, N.H. Witnesses said the car drove away afterward.
In the plea agreement, prosecutors dropped a charge of gross negligent operation of a motor vehicle resulting in death.
He awaits sentencing.MORE IN Vermont NewsMONTPELIER ó New management plans for a vast section of Vermontís remote Northeast Kingdom ó an... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.