Dorothy H. BilingsJuly 02,2013Dorothy H. Billings
Dorothy Anna Hawley Billings, 96, died Sunday, June 30, 2013, at Mt. View Genesis Eldercare Network.
She was born in Rutland, VT, on May 21, 1917, the daughter of Arthur W. and Lucretia (Von Fintell) Hawley.
She was predeceased by her husband, Alvah B. Billings in 1987; a sister, Verna Sprague; and four brothers, Arlyn Hawley, Ira Hawley, Alfred Hawley and Maurice Hawley.
Survivors include a sister-in-law, Esther Hawley; and several nieces and nephews.
There will be no calling hours.
The graveside service will be held Wednesday, July 3, 2013, at 2 p.m. in Evergreen Cemetery in Rutland, with the Rev. Ronald Sherwin, pastor of the Mendon United Methodist Community Church, officiating.
Memorial contributions may be made to a charity of one’s choice.
Arrangements are under the direction of Tossing Funeral Home.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: A fiery pit nicknamed the 'Gate of Hell' in the Karakum desert in Turkmenistan has been burning for 40 years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Workers on this day in 1984 in a Cheshire, England, peat bog find well-preserved human remains at least 2,000 years dead, born this day in 1843, Robert Todd Lincoln, eldest son of the president, present at three assassinations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: osh O'Gorman reports on the impact of state budget cuts on state colleges, Rutland Town welcomes Donna Zeller as town clerk, Bryanna Allen in Killington for chili cookoff and Haley talks up the big Shrine game with N.H. and Vt.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.