Blaze destroys lakeside home
By Josh O’Gorman
STAFF WRITER | July 01,2013
CASTLETON — A fire Sunday afternoon gutted a seasonal lakeside home and ignited ammunition inside.
No one was in the home at the time of the blaze, although one person was in the house earlier in the day, according to Castleton Fire Chief Heath Goyette.
The name of the owner of the property was not available.
The Castleton Volunteer Fire Department around 2 p.m. received a call from a passing motorist who reported seeing the fire and hearing explosions at 1647 Creek Road, Goyette said.
When firefighters arrived on the scene minutes later, the seasonal home — tucked in the trees on a hill overlooking Lake Bomoseen — was fully engulfed in flames and the roof had collapsed, Goyette said.
Firefighters immediately put out a grass fire surrounding a garage next to the house. The garage was not damaged.
An hour later, little remained of the two-story Adirondack-style camp, aside from a few standing studs, pieces of lathing and a stone chimney. No injuries were reported.
According to a firefighter on the scene, the house contained several guns and an abundance of ammunition, which detonated from the heat of the fire.
Goyette did not immediately know what started the fire, and said an investigator was called in.
The fire forced emergency personnel to close about two miles of Creek Road between Route 4A and the boat launch known locally as the “Green Dump.” Drivers on their way to Bomoseen State Park were redirected to Scotch Hill Road.
The fire was also responsible for knocking out electricity to 1,537 customers, according to Dorothy Schnure, spokeswoman for Green Mountain Power. Castleton fire asked GMP to cut the power because heat from the fire resulted in downed lines, Schnure said.
Power was turned off at 2:24 p.m. and restored to all customers 40 minutes later, she added.
Castleton received assistance from firefighters from Fair Haven, Hubbardton, Poultney, and Rutland Town, while West Rutland firefighters staffed the station in Hubbardton. Rutland County Fire Mutual Aid also provided assistance.
For more photos, check out the Twitter feed @joshogormanrh.